We just closed on my listing in #HannoverForest! Also happy for the new property owners who relocated to #TX from CA. Congrats! Many blessings in your #newhome!
Your Electrician Wants You To Stop Doing These Ten Things
Dated: September 13 2019
5 Home Dangers Cited by Electricians
The leading cause of home fires is due to electrical mishaps, according to The Electrical Safety Foundation International. Certain habits of homeowners may be putting their homes and themselves at risk too.
Apartment Therapy recently asked electricians to chime in with the most dangerous things they often see homeowners do that could be putting their home at risk, including:
Using adapters on two-prong outlets.
“Three-prong outlets didn’t become standard in North American homes until the late 1960s, so while modern homes should be in good shape, there are plenty of homes out there with old two-prong outlets,” Mark Dawson, chief operating officer at Mister Sparky, told Apartment Therapy. Many new appliances use three prongs so owners may use an adapter to plug it in, but Dawson warns against it. “Instead, you should consider upgrading the outlet if you need to regularly use three-prong plugs,” he says.
Using loose electrical outlets.
Electricians warn plugging in loose electrical outlets can lead to fires and be dangerous to others too. “If the cord falls out easily, this means that the blades inside the outlet have become loose, and can now generate a lot of heat,” Josh McCormick, vice president of operations for Mr. Electric, told Apartment Therapy.
Using the wrong extension cords outside.
Make sure the extension cord is rated for outdoor use. Otherwise, it could overheat and potentially cause a fire, electricians say. Check extension cords for letters on it. A “W” on it means it can be used outdoors; an “S” marked on the cord means its rated to be used only inside the home.
Overloading a circuit.
Look for signs that you may be overloading the circuit, such as blinking or dimming lights, frequently tripped circuit breakers, discolored outlet covers, or even buzzing sounds near outlets. If you suspect an overloaded circuit, contact a licensed electrician to inquire about upgrading your panel, McCormick advises.
Overlooking the importance of ground fault circuits.
All outlets in the bathroom and kitchen should be equipped with ground fault circuit interrupters. These will shut off the power when they sense water near. That could be lifesaving in avoiding an electrical shock.
Source: “10 Dangerous Things Your Electrician Wants You to Stop Doing ASAP,” Apartment Therapy (September 2019)
As always let us know how we can help you! We also have a large referral list of local contractors and would be happy to connect you.
Melissa & Russell Banki
Top Certified Real Estate Experts
Best Priced Properties Team
c: 713-480-0889 or 936-445-0216
REALTOR®, GRI, CNE - Hite Properties Best Priced Properties Team - The Woodlands TX Cell: 936-445-0216 Clients First! Treating the relationship with far more value than the transaction. We be....
Latest Blog Posts
Broken out by housing segment, July sales performed as follows: $1 - $99,999: decreased 38.0 percent $100,000 - $149,999: decreased 37.7 percent $150,000 -
2122 Melanie Park Drive Spring, TX 77388DON'T MISS THIS GORGEOUS HOME within a mile of I45, Grand Parkway & easy access to Hardy Toll Rd, ExxonMobil & The Woodlands. HEB & ALDI across from.
Congrats to both buying and selling clients on the sale of this fantastic acreage lot in Conroe TX off 1488! Sold quickly at full list and was a smooth process for both parties! Can